Our business intelligence and due diligence team helps our clients to make informed decisions about investments and relationships by identifying and assessing reputation, financial crime and ESG risks, and evaluating broader intelligence about people, organisations and issues that influence our client’s success.
This leadership role sits within this team. It is exclusively focused on helping our clients to identify and assess ESG risks in line with leading frameworks and standards, and then providing practical advice to help our clients manage and mitigate material ESG risks, or to identify opportunities for ESG-linked impact and value creation.
The candidate will have experience and expertise in ESG and sustainability focused diligence, reporting, disclosures, either in-house at a private markets focused investor or in a corporate organisation, or working as a ESG focused consultant with significant experience of managing clients. The candidate will demonstrate a strong and long-standing knowledge of specific areas of ESG (such as human rights or environmental considerations) and responsible investment trends, and will be able to help our private equity and corporate clients make decisions about their investments and relationships.
This role requires close collaboration with our specialists focused on transaction advisory, social compliance, climate risk consulting and political risk analysis consulting.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Brand and reputation
- Refine and innovate our ESG due diligence offering and methodologies based on evolving client requirements and regulatory trends
- Identify the most appropriate and effective events and networks in which to represent Control Risks on ESG due diligence and sustainability trends
- Track and communicate developments to clients and colleagues on ESG disclosure and reporting trends with reference to frameworks and standards, and relevant regulations
Client acquisition and management
- Identify and acquire client relationships for ESG due diligence, with a particular focus on private market clients and their investees’ management teams
- Manage and grow existing client relationships
- Support colleagues with their framing of ESG services and specifically due diligence to their clients
- Co-ordinate and write concise and persuasive proposals, and ensure projects are priced, structured and managed effectively
- Manage high quality ESG due diligence and ESG advisory projects from scoping to delivery
- Oversee research and intelligence as well as conduct interviews and desktop document and policy reviews to deliver in depth
ESG due diligence reports and advice
- Structure scopes and reports around ESG frameworks or assessment standards, evaluating clients’ or targets’ compliance or impact, and producing follow on action plans
- Confidently advise clients on best practice, relevance and applicability in ESG/sustainability reporting, risk assessments and disclosures
- Convey complex information and recommendations in a confident, persuasive and accessible manner that helps clients to assess the materiality of risks, resolve uncertainty and make informed risk or impact-driven decisions
- Support clients to communicate findings, processes and progress to a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Evaluate where we need to build our ESG skills and capabilities, and identify the talent we need to hire to deliver this
- Grow and manage a team of core ESG subject matter specialists for ESG due diligence
- Mentor and guide colleagues in the business intelligence practice on the methodologies, frameworks and standards, reporting, and terminology required to deliver high quality ESG due diligence
• Experience in a relevant ESG or sustainability-focused role, either at a consultancy or in-house at a private markets investment firm or corporate
• A well-developed understanding of ESG/sustainability/responsible investment trends and the emerging regulatory environment, particularly experience on specific social and environment factors of relevance to private equity and corporate clients in the UK and Europe
• Professional experience conducting due diligence in line with relevant standards and frameworks, such as SASB, GRI, UN Global Compact and other standards including the IFC Performance Standards, PRI and TCFD
• Strong client management skills with demonstrated track record of developing client relationships.
• Demonstrated experience of working successfully within cross-discipline and geographically dispersed team
Career Framework Level – Band C. Application closing date for Control Risk employees 23 March 2022
- Control Risks offers a competitively positioned compensation and benefits package that is transparent and summarised in the full job offer.
- We operate a discretionary global bonus scheme that incentivises, and rewards individuals based on company and individual performance.
- Control Risks supports hybrid working arrangements, wherever possible, that emphasise the value of in-person time together – in the office and with our clients – while continuing to support flexible and remote working.
- As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join us and are fully committed to equal treatment, free from discrimination, of all candidates throughout our recruitment process.