The Research Manager, BI South-East Asia is responsible for the leadership, day-to-day management and continuous improvement of the practice’s 10-person (and growing) Research team.
The Research Manager is responsible for managing the research resources and knowledge management processes in the BI South-East Asia team, setting marking-leading standards of excellence in OSINT methodologies, output and operations. They will drive innovation by implementing new methodologies and technologies to assist with the delivery of research that feeds into our client engagements, while maintaining a focus on operational efficiencies.
The role is intended to have a majority focus on leading the Research team, with some responsibility for leading on the delivery of complex, research-focused client engagements related to reputational due diligence, strategic intelligence, and commercial investigations and disputes in South-East Asia.
Role tasks and responsibilities
- Conduct a gap analysis against industry best practice of the BI South-East Asia Research team’s existing processes and resources.
- Review database subscriptions and other external research resources with a view to maximising efficiencies and return on investment.
- Lead efforts to identify new sources of information (e.g. databases, data providers, subscriptions etc.) on an ongoing basis.
- Oversee budgeting, recruitment and resourcing of the Research team, including full-time employees and external research subcontractors.
- Develop and execute a training programme for the Research team collectively, and for individual team members, including an induction programme for new joiners to the team.
- Create and develop knowledge and information databases, including instantly accessible databases of current and past projects, case studies and sector expertise. Implement systems and processes to ensure that those databases are kept updated.
- Develop and execute a plan for optimising the presentation and visualisation of our research output in client reports.
- Work closely with Control Risks’ Technology and Data Analytics practices to explore operational efficiencies in our methodologies and processes.
- Closely collaborate with Research leads in other Control Risks’ offices to ensure the seamless sharing and development of research methodologies across BI practices.
- Lead on the project management and delivery of complex, research-focused client engagements related to reputational due diligence, strategic intelligence, and commercial investigations and disputes in South-East Asia.
- At least eight years’ experience in a related industry, such as but not limited to: financial services, journalism, legal, NGO, professional services, think tanks/research firms, academia.
- Significant experience conducting complex, OSINT-focused investigations, drawing on multiple research methodologies and information sources.
- Excellent OSINT research skills, including the using technology to create operational efficiencies.
- Strong track record of managing research teams.
- Expert understanding of commercial transactions and investigations.
- Experience in designing, executing and managing OSINT research processes.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to work easily with team members and colleagues across the region.
- Owns problems, identifies and works with the right people to solve problems quickly within own remit and wider teams.
- Reviews and looks for efficiencies in ways of working.
- Implements plans to ensure objectives are achieved or exceeded; focuses on delivery.
- Shows and encourages a determination to achieve high standards.
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently balance project work with the demands of the Head of Research role.
- Ability to train staff at all levels in the use of knowledge management tools, frameworks and processes.
- Control Risks offers a competitively positioned compensation and benefits package that is transparent and summarised in the full job offer.
- We operate a discretionary global bonus scheme that incentivises, and rewards individuals based on company and individual performance.
- Control Risks supports hybrid working arrangements, wherever possible, that emphasise the value of in-person time together – in the office and with our clients – while continuing to support flexible and remote working.
As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join us and are fully committed to equal treatment, free from discrimination, of all candidates throughout our recruitment process.
Please be informed that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.