Our business intelligence and due diligence teams help clients to make informed business and investment decisions, and to identify any issues that might pose a risk to them through partnerships, investments or operations. This role sits within this team, though is exclusively focused on identifying and assessing environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks in line with leading reporting frameworks; and then providing practical remediation advice to help our clients manage and mitigate these risks.
The ideal candidate will also have experience and expertise in ESG/sustainability reporting, disclosures and strategy, possibly in a private equity or corporate environment. The candidate will demonstrate a strong knowledge of relevant ESG, sustainability and responsible investment market trends and regulations, and an understanding of the implications of this for our private equity and corporate clients.
This role will require close collaboration with our specialists focused on transaction advisory, social compliance, political and security risk analysis, and climate and risk consulting.
• Manage high quality ESG due diligence and ESG advisory projects from scoping to delivery.
• Utilise public record sources to conduct thorough research and to gather intelligence.
• Develop and maintain specialised contacts that can add human source insight to client requests, and critically assess the intelligence from these sources.
• Review clients’ policies, procedures, metrics, and internal documentation to assess maturity and compliance and to identify gaps.
• Conduct interviews with relevant stakeholders; document and assess findings; and draw conclusions to inform risk mitigation recommendations.
• Structure findings around best practice frameworks or assessment standards, evaluating clients’ compliance and producing follow on action plans.
• Convey complex information and recommendations in a confident, persuasive and accessible manner that helps clients to assess the materiality of risks, resolve uncertainty and make informed risk or impact-driven decisions.
• Confidently advise clients on best practice, relevance and applicability in ESG/sustainability reporting, risk assessments and disclosures.
• Support clients to communicate findings, processes and progress to a range of internal and external stakeholders.
• Co-ordinate and write concise and persuasive proposals, and ensure projects are priced, structured and managed effectively.
• Play a critical role in ESG diligence and advisory related business development and client management.
• Actively contribute to the development of new products and services.
• Track and communicate developments on ESG topics and trends, frameworks and standards, and relevant regulations to clients and colleagues.
• Ensure our due diligence methodologies are updated to reflect these changes and developments.
• Participate in thought leadership and marketing opportunities and represent Control Risks at external events.
• Mentor and train colleagues on ESG diligence and related topics.
• Engage and manage diverse project teams.
• Experience in a relevant ESG or sustainability-focused role, either at a consultancy or in-house at an investment firm or corporate.
• Experience in investment, M&A or transaction advisory and decision-making.
• Well-developed understanding of ESG/sustainability/responsible investment trends and the emerging regulatory environment.
• Professional experience conducting due diligence in line with relevant standards and frameworks including the IFC Performance Standards and Equator Principles.
• Experience with ESG performance, assessment and reporting frameworks and targets, such as TCFD and GRI.
• Strong client management skills with demonstrated track record of developing client relationships.
• Demonstrated experience of working successfully within cross-discipline and geographically dispersed teams.
• Proactive problem solver able to demonstrate sound judgement in decision making under pressure.
• Willingness to make decisions and translate decisions into effective actions and implement these.
• Innovative thinker driven to improve the services we offer to our clients.
• Results focused with demonstrable drive and determination to achieve high standards.
• Ability to deliver exceptional service by prioritising client needs.
• Ability to clearly express ideas and influence clients and peers alike.
• Willing to use initiative and take on responsibilities.
• Highly responsive.
• Excellent communicator.
• Excellent standard of verbal and written communication in English.
• Investigative and analytical skills and excellent attention to detail.
• Strong project management skills.
• Experience of operating within a commercial environment in a client-facing role.
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with industry contacts.
• Educated to degree level with academic or professional qualifications in the field of ESG/sustainability/responsible investment
For Control Risks employees only – Career Framework level either D and application closing date 18 February 2022.
- Control Risks offers a competitively positioned compensation and benefits package that is transparent and summarised in the full job offer.
- We operate a discretionary global bonus scheme that incentivises, and rewards individuals based on company and individual performance.
- Control Risks supports hybrid working arrangements, wherever possible, that emphasise the value of in-person time together – in the office and with our clients – while continuing to support flexible and remote working.
- As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join us and are fully committed to equal treatment, free from discrimination, of all candidates throughout our recruitment process.