This position may be based in Houston or New York.
We are looking for a dynamic, experienced individual to be part of a team conducting complex pre-transaction due diligence, fraud and security assessment investigations across the US and Canada. The successful candidate will be a critical thinker with good communication skills, with an interest in business transactions and operations. This position will be responsible for managing a range of business intelligence and compliance projects, while also investigating, evaluating and interpreting both open source and human intelligence information in the context of complex corporate investigations and problem-solving assignments. The Senior Consultant will provide guidance and mentorship to more junior members of the team, taking on direct line management responsibility for a group of direct reports.
Role tasks and responsibilities
Investigative case management:
- Manage and execute a range of business intelligence and compliance projects including due diligence, threat assessments, litigation support, asset identification, market entry studies, problem solving and power mapping
- Manage the entire project cycle, from initial client request to proposal drafting, acceptance, delivery and invoicing
- Conduct thorough and detail-oriented research – using a variety of open-source and proprietary public record databases – in support of compliance and investigative public record research projects
- Liaise with our human source network and expand it by cultivating contacts across the US & Canada
- Liaise with clients to understand their requirements and ensure that our proposals deliver solutions tailored to those needs
- Manage individuals including researchers and subcontractors. Oversee the effective performance of and delivery of meaningful and constructive feedback to researchers and other junior colleagues. Provide peer-reviews and quality control, as well as training and mentoring
- Brief and present findings, in writing, verbally and through charts and diagrams, to internal and external clients
Team leadership and line management:
- Manage a team of direct reports, helping them to develop, execute and complete projects, liaising where necessary with colleagues in other jurisdictions.
- Discuss and create SMART objectives for each direct report and conduct consistent evaluations as well as required performance reviews.
- Support/lead new employee onboarding, as well as train, mentor and develop the research team
Business, practice and solution development:
- Take an active part in developing Control Risks’ client base, seeking to both maintain existing relationships and develop new ones with decision makers. Facilitate, where appropriate, the introduction and provision of additional Control Risks’ services
- Support account managers on business development initiatives such as attending conferences, client meetings and briefings
- Actively participate in profile-raising and brand awareness activities, including marketing and networking initiatives and events
- Seek opportunities to be improve our current methodologies, including through the application of new technology, innovation, approaches, resources and sources
Knowledge and experience
- Previous professional experience, ideally within the corporate intelligence industry, with at least 4 to 6 years working as a business analyst or researcher in a client-facing role
- Experience of managing complex projects and presenting findings to clients
- Experience in the use of US and Canadian public records, including media and litigation databases and online search tools
- Understanding of the US legal system and regulatory environment and basic knowledge of US business and politics
- Demonstrated experience with corporate intelligence and compliance, with strong knowledge of research techniques, databases, networks, online registers and archives, and research in the general internet
- Ability to work in a team and independently
Qualifications and specialist skills
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Ability to understand, summarize and present large amounts of information in well-written reports that convey a narrative
- Takes responsibility to analyze the situation to provide the solution or escalates as appropriate
- Responds to clients positively and is flexible; provides the best possible service and puts the client first
- Works with colleagues in a cooperative and supportive manner to achieve joint aims
- All employees are expected to display behaviors reflective of our company values: Integrity and Ethics, Collaboration and Teamwork, Commitment to People and Professionalism and Excellence
- Control Risks offers a competitively positioned compensation and benefits package that is transparent and summarised in the full job offer.
- Control Risks supports hybrid working arrangements, wherever possible, that emphasise the value of in-person time together – in the office and with our clients – while continuing to support flexible and remote working.
- Medical Benefits, Prescription Benefits, FSA, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Life and AD&D, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Disability Benefits, Voluntary Benefits, 401 (K) Retirement, Nationwide Pet Insurance, Employee Assistance Program.
- As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join us and are fully committed to equal treatment, free from discrimination, of all candidates throughout our recruitment process.