Job Type: Permanent
Reference code: 122851
Primary Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
All Available Locations: Toronto, ON
At Deloitte, we are driven to inspire and help our people, organization, communities, and country to thrive. Our Purpose is to build a better future by accelerating and expanding access to knowledge. Purpose defines who we are and gives us reason to exist as an organization.
By living our Purpose, we will make an impact that matters.
Learn from deep subject matter experts through mentoring and on-the-job coaching
Be encouraged to deepen your technical skills…whatever those may be.
Partner with clients to solve their most complex problems
The Forensics team is growing a national practice dealing with fraud investigations, technology abuses, cyber-crime, cyber-breach, and litigation support offering a complete range of client services pertaining to computer forensics and investigations. Forensic engagements include complex domestic and international investigations pertaining to litigation, corporate fraud, class action lawsuits and regulatory matters, to name but a few. You'll have an opportunity to develop your skills in these areas, in addition to taking part in national and international projects. The team works with industry-leading technologies and leverages a global One Deloitte team to provide creative and innovative solutions to complex engagements. The team has strong leadership and works closely together, sharing knowledge and helping each other learn and excel!
What will your typical day look like?
The Computer Forensic manager will be responsible for a team of digital forensic specialists for data collection and preservation, compiling, interpreting and analyzing electronic data for investigation and litigation purposes. Additional responsibilities include:
- Managing a digital forensic specialist team and providing guidance, industry knowledge and best practice for challenging and complex forensic investigations.
- Produce high-quality oral and written work products and deliver expert fact-based opinions based on analysis.
- Help with the career development, mentorship and technical development of junior staff.
- Liaise with other service lines to provide digital forensic support in their investigations.
- Promote, maintain and adhere to support digital evidence collection, the chain of custody protocols, and proper storage of digital assets.
- Attend client sites to perform work (when and where required).
- Prepare SOW/LOE for engagements, budgets and identify resources.
- Support and demonstrate positive firm initiatives in complying with internal procedures (time entry, resource monitoring, independence, security clearance).
- Monitor and approve vacation requests while maintaining proper coverage for ongoing engagements.
- Supporting development and implementation of non-technical procedures (evidence management, customer relationship management portal, internal compliance trainings)
- Responsible for managing projects and monitoring the quality of work performed on digital forensic engagements.
- Project manage multiple engagements while maintaining quality deliverables.
- Effectively lead the planning and execution of Forensic and Investigative projects, including compiling electronic data, performing analysis and preparing recommendations.
- Correspondence with clients, lawyers, and internal contacts to discuss file issues and present our findings.
- Develop and maintain client relationships at the highest level.
- Actively participate and lead initiatives in business development activities.
- Preparing deliverable data in a meaningful contextual format suited to client needs.
- Support preparation for regular reports out and or updates to senior internal management.
- Develop and refine policies and procedures for digital forensic analyses.
- Provide preparation/oversight of proposals in answer to clients’ requests for proposals, including large, multi-disciplinary projects
- Play an integral role in talent development through coaching, mentoring and training junior staff.
- Conduct project, team and individual performance reviews and provide continuous feedback on junior staff performance.
The Forensic team members work closely with forensic accountants, lawyers, litigation support teams, document review teams, clients, and investigators to produce analysis, expertise, and advice in support of investigations and litigation matters. This is not a back-office role, but rather a position in which you will enter direct and frequent communication with all levels of stakeholders on engagements.
Given the nature of the work involved, a flexible work schedule and availability to travel inside and outside Canada are essential for all individuals joining the Forensic team. Candidates should also be able to obtain a “secret” level II security clearance from the Canadian government, as well as a U.S. work visa.
Candidates should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills in English (French would be an asset). They should also have information security experience (an asset), together with a degree from a recognized university or College in any of the following disciplines (or equivalent):
- Computer science
- Information Technology
- Information systems
- Business Intelligence
- Cyber Fraud
- Cyber Investigations
About the team
Deloitte's Forensic services professionals identify and resolve various types of corporate disputes and irregularities. We also carry out analyses, provide opinions and draft clear, logical reports. We apply a variety of quantitative and qualitative techniques aimed at identifying and analyzing presumed damages stemming from the following cases: business interruptions, broken contracts, negligence, breaches of obligations, intellectual property violations and other similar situations. We quantify actual or potential losses while helping our clients reduce their fraud-related risks, tracing misappropriated funds and resolving business and financial disputes on a fast-track basis.
Our Toronto office is currently seeking a Senior Associate on the Forensics and Discovery Team.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you
You are someone with:
- Bachelor's Degree or Diploma in Computer Science, IT, or related field or equivalent experience.
- 8-10 years of experience or relevant education.
- Technical knowledge of hardware and software.
- Litigation support, technological investigations and eDiscovery.
- Solid system administration and infrastructure experience.
- Understanding of the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM).
- Fluency in working with at least one or more of the following software tools: Encase, Axiom, X-Ways, FTK, IEF.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in an advisory or external consulting capacity
- Strong understanding of Microsoft and Apple OS structure and artifacts.
- Strong understanding of File Systems including FAT, FAT32, NTFS, HFS, HFS+.
- Strong understanding of mobile device preservation and related analysis for Android, Apple and Blackberry devices.
- Experience with Cellebrite, Oxygen or other mobile device preservation and analysis software.
- Experience with the following software is highly desirable: Nuix, Relativity, EDT, SQL, Oracle, SAS.
- Experience working in a fast-paced project environment under tight timelines and varying hours of work.
- Excellent research and analytical skills with the ability to clearly and articulately identify and define problems and develop creative solutions to address client needs.
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to develop detailed technical reports and executive summaries.
- A proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Comfort with receiving and providing feedback.
- Proven relationship development and management skills with demonstrated ability to interact, establish credibility and engender trust with a wide range of professionals across all levels.
- You will be required to undergo a criminal record check and obtain a Secret level Government of Canada security clearance.
- The ability to travel on short notice for 1-7 days may be required when a return to the workplace and travel is possible.
Working knowledge of the following tools (but not limited to):
- Forensic tools (EnCase, FTK, Cellebrite, X-Ways, Forensic Explorer)
- eDiscovery tools (Relativity, Nuix, Clearwell, dtSearch, iPro)
- Database administration and Languages (MS-SQL, Oracle, T-SQL, PL-SQL)
Our shared values
While our Purpose guides us and helps explain why we exist, our shared values describe the behaviour we expect from each other at the firm.
They provide common ground to unite us across cultures and geographies. They help us to earn the trust and respect of our stakeholders. We all commit to living by these shared values, to stay true to the principles they represent, and to honour the legacy from which they came. They are what sets us apart and makes us Deloitte.
Every day, we live our Purpose through the following five shared values:
- Lead the way: Deloitte is not only leading the profession, but reinventing it for the future. We’re also committed to creating opportunity and leading the way to a more sustainable world.
- Serve with integrity: Deloitte has earned the trust of employees, clients, regulators, and the public for 175 years. Upholding that trust is our single most important responsibility.
- Take care of each other: We look out for one another and prioritize respect, fairness, development, and well-being.
- Foster inclusion: We are at our best when we foster an inclusive culture and embrace diversity in all forms. We know this attracts top talent, enables innovation, and helps us deliver well-rounded client solutions.
- Collaborate for measurable impact: We approach our work with a collaborative mind¬set, teaming across businesses, geographies, and skill sets to deliver tangible, measurable, attributable impact.
The next step is yours
Sound like The One Firm. For You? Apply Now!!
At Deloitte, we are all about doing business inclusively – that starts with having diverse colleagues of all abilities. Deloitte encourages applications from all qualified candidates who represent the full diversity of communities across Canada. This includes, but is not limited to, people with disabilities, candidates from Indigenous communities, and candidates from the Black community in support of living our values, creating a culture of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and our commitment to our AccessAbility Action Plan, Reconciliation Action Plan and the BlackNorth Initiative.
We encourage you to connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation for the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodations). We’d love to hear from you!
By applying to this job you will be assessed against the Deloitte Global Talent Standards. We’ve designed these standards to provide our clients with a consistent and exceptional Deloitte experience globally.
Deloitte Canada has 30 offices with representation across most of the country. We acknowledge our offices reside on traditional, treaty and unceded territories as part of Turtle Island and is still home to many First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples. We are all Treaty people.