The Evidence Coordinators receives, records, stores, and safeguards evidence collected for Forensic investigations and/or litigation. Prepares records of articles according to chain of custody procedures and maintains evidence database. Releases evidence being retained to designated party for court presentation or other disposition. Maintains storage facility and coordinates proper disposal of sensitive materials including desktop/laptop computers, hard drives, CD/DVDs.
- Receiving packages containing client media/evidence.
- Maintain proper chain of custody for all incoming/outgoing packages.
- Track all daily incoming/outgoing packages in a log for auditing purposes
- Prepare and coordinate all shipping requests from the Client Services, Intake, and Forensics Departments. Including packaging, courier tasks to FedEx facilities.
- Log all incoming media/evidence into the evidence database.
- Store, safeguard, and maintain all media/evidence in a storage facility.
- Perform monthly audits of the evidence database and storage facility.
- Releases evidence being retained to designated parties for court presentation or other disposition.
- Destroy media/evidence as needed.
- Support the Intake team by assisting in the Intake queue as needed (physical and electronic media logging, staging, etc).
- Provide evidence reporting to Client Services on a regular basis.
- Order and maintain an adequate supply of hard drives, CD/DVDs, shipping materials, etc. This includes RMA of bad drives.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of all hard drives in a database.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized media room at all times.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Behaviors
- Keen eye for detail, accuracy, and organization – this is an absolute “must have”.
- Ability to solve problems, prioritize, and multi-task in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with customer service focus.
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment as well as independently.
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Self-motivated, self-directed and the ability to take initiative and solve problems.
- Knowledge of all shipping vendor procedures (FedEx, UPS, USPS, Courier, etc.).
- High School diploma or equivalent experience.
- 3 to 5 yrs of experience including familiarity with chain of custody procedure and an understanding of data collection & preservation principles.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Duties are performed in a typical office environment while sitting at a desk or computer table. Duties require the ability to use a computer, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material.
- Duties may require being on call periodically and working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends).
- Duties may require the ability to travel via automobile or airplane, approximately 10% of the time will be spent traveling.
- Job may be required at a customer facility.
- Duties may require the ability to lift up to 20 lbs.