SNA International, LLC, is a vibrant, growing company based in Alexandria, VA, and a world leader in forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence services. SNA’s staff support high visibility forensic human identification operations, including staffing some of the US’s largest federal forensic laboratories.
SNA International seeks a bright, collaborative and innovative Biologist Technician to work in the FBI Laboratory Division’s Quantico, Virginia location, who has a strong work ethic to join our team and work together in pursuit of the same cause: build a safe and just world by empowering organizations in the use of forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence.
The Biologist Technician provides support and will spend most of their time in the laboratory cataloging and analyzing DNA evidence. Because the findings from analyses may be used in court to prove the innocence or guilt of suspects, the Biologist Technician must follow strict protocols regarding the custody of evidence, testing procedures, and reporting guidelines. Every step of the procedure must be notated and reported, including when the evidence was received, the quality of the sample(s), the tests performed, and the test results. Those individuals involved in testing are often called to appear in court as expert witnesses to verify the findings of a particular DNA analysis.
The Biologist Technician processes a wide range of complex forensic material, to include evidence associated with IEDs and IED related material for DNA collections. The Biologist Technician shall use basic and advanced physical and chemical processes and forensic light sources for the detection of the evidence for DNA.
The following list is representative of the types of activities and responsibilities anticipated to be performed by the contractor, but are not limited to the following services:
- Perform work analyzing body fluids and/or other human tissues using DNA analysis.
- Provides assistance to forensic examiners in handling and analysis of physical evidence.
- Prepare solutions, buffers, and reagents used in body fluid and human tissue identification techniques.
- Maintains a manual of quality control procedures.
- Prepare detailed documentation.
- Ensure each analysis is performed correctly by conducting peer reviews on findings.
- Maintain each piece of lab equipment, check for damages, and request replacement equipment, as needed.
- Perform routine maintenance and quality control checks, as needed.
- Include retesting samples and double-checking the finding reports, as needed.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined.
- Perform all the services and responsibilities of a biologist.
- Perform the collection of DNA samples from IED and IED-related material for additional DNA processing using proper techniques to preserve the DNA and prevent contamination.
- Complete and pass DNA training requirements within the time period set forth by the Scientific and Biometrics Analysis Unit (SBAU) for DNA sample collection.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Education: B.A. or B.S. in Biological Sciences (i.e., Biology, Chemistry, Physiology, or Genetics) from an accredited university or college with at least twenty-four (24) credit hours in the Physical Sciences.
- Experience: one (1) year of forensic DNA laboratory experience in an accredited laboratory.
- Skills: Basic computer skills, to include use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook).
- Have good organization skills; flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities.
- Training: Demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments using both verbal and written communication skills.
- Must successfully complete the DNA Casework Unit training program within six months from being assigned to the contract/task order and will be required to successfully complete at least two proficiency tests annually.
Candidates must be US citizens and able to pass a background check, drug screening, and a polygraph (if required).
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that outlines why you should be considered for this position and position level. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
No phone calls
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.