SNA International, a world leader in forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence, is currently looking for a bright, collaborative Forensic DNA Technician with a strong work ethic to join the team. SNA International’s team works together in pursuit of the same cause: to build a safe and just world by empowering organizations in the use of forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence.
Qualified candidates will work with an extremely dedicated team at the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory (AFDIL) in the Past Accounting section in Dover, DE utilizing a minimum of autosomal short tandem repeat (auSTR), Y-Chromosomal short tandem period (Y-STR), and mitochondrial DNA sequencing (Sanger sequencing and next generation sequencing of mtDNA) to process various tissues and fluids supporting the Armed Forces Medical Examiner with death investigations and human remains identification.
Critical Work Responsibilities include:
- Assist in the expansion of the AFDIL technical program to accelerate service work capabilities, which may include:
- Setup and make operationally ready a wide variety of laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Assist in quality assurance activities such as standards maintenance, equipment preventive maintenance, reagent quality control testing and validation, proficiency testing, and accreditation and certification.
- Perform laboratory processing using the AFDIL most current forensically validated and accredited procedures on various tissue and fluid.
- Prepare reagents and maintain documentation of reagent prep and Quality Control testing in accordance with AFDIL SOPs.
- Perform laboratory house-keeping activities such as preparing common laboratory reagents, maintaining appropriate stock levels of expendable supplies, ordering reagents/supplies when needed, recording temperatures, monitoring laboratory equipment, and general cleaning duties within the laboratory.
- Maintain accurate and complete chain of custody for evidence.
- Accession of forensic evidence in the Laboratory Information Management System (LISA)
- Enter data into LISA and the Armed Forces Medical Examiners Tracking System (AFMETS
- Prepare correspondence/documents ensuring proper format, mathematical correctness, grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Prepare and edit recurring reports regarding case status and case tracking.
- Assist in developing, optimizing, and/or validating new forensic DNA test methods
- Assist with internal and external audit preparation and participation.
- Perform service casework involving nucDNA and mtDNA quantification, typing and profiling procedures as required.
- Self-direct workflow to ensure that all duties are completed weekly.
- Generate documents and reports and assist other sections as deemed necessary by supervisor.
- Maintain Privacy Act considerations at all times in the handling of specimens and the information contained within them.
- Participate in completing required work as stated within Individual Training Plans (ITPs) to be signed off for performing laboratory procedures and data analysis.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in Forensic Science, Biology, or Chemistry is desired or Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Have the ability to work independently on multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Possess personality traits and professionalism necessary to maintain team cohesion and to set a good working example.
DNA Technician’s should be able to:
- Sit or stand at automated computer management systems, computers or laboratory stations for extended periods of time.
- Operate automated and/or robotic instrumentation
- Perform laboratory house-keeping activities
Special consideration will be granted to those with large-scale laboratory experience. Successful candidates will be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to work well in a team laboratory environment.
***Candidates must be US citizens and must be able to successfully complete a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NAC-I) Background Check.
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.