The Sr. Data Operations Engineer role is part of the eDiscovery Custom Engineering team and focuses on creating quick-turn solutions that solve complex eDiscovery data problems utilizing modern software technologies. The team’s software solutions typically include interpreted language programs, complex scripts, SQL database queries, and light application development. This is an execution role responsible for planning, grooming, and developing the most efficient technology solution to meet internal and external client needs. The team functions as the next-level technical escalation to support the eDiscovery service delivery organization and involves quick-turn response and resolution. Solutions typically include automating and optimizing the execution of manual tasks, data manipulation tools (extract, normalize, transform, organize, query), integrating 3rd party technologies, and just-in-time custom eDiscovery client requirements. Timeframes are typically quick-turn and measured in hours, days, and weeks.
As a Sr. Data Operations Engineer, you must be a self-starter and have a talent for collecting information from many sources across the business and clients and pulling that information together to execute an efficient solution that meets the business needs.
- Create quick-turn eDiscovery solutions that solve client and operational needs with a primary focus on automating and optimizing complex manual tasks, data handling tools (extract, normalize, transform, organize, query), integrating 3rd party technologies, and just-in-time custom eDiscovery client requirements.
- Responsible for the creation or modification of production-ready software applications and processes from conception to completion in the most efficient and timely manner.
- Solution creation includes designing, coding, debugging, and unit testing that meets internal and external client requirements.
- Specify software and related workflow requirements to determine design feasibility within time and cost constraints.
- Contribute to the planning and estimating software development timelines and accountable to deliver on the timelines by actively managing risks and changing requirements.
- Provide execution escalation support for complex client requirements, software issues, root cause analysis, and investigation/remediation of complex technology problems.
- Effective use of modern software development tools and techniques to create efficient and reliable algorithms with appropriate exception handling/fault tolerance.
- Communicate and train on how to use newly developed solutions as needed.
- Follow and contribute to the constant improvement of agile software development processes and practices (SCRUM) to improve efficiency, maximize resources, and reduce expense.
- Identify and incorporate best practices and lessons learned into execution plans.
- Mentor team members by providing advice, coaching, and technical guidance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND BEHAVIORS
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, problem solving, and root cause analysis skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including the ability to deal with difficult situations and manage conflicts to successful resolution.
- Understanding of e-discovery principles and best practices.
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- The ability to work cross-functionally to negotiate and resolve conflicting situations and priorities.
- Willingness to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and changing requirements.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage competing priorities.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Adherence to processes and procedures while remaining results-oriented and “thinking outside the box”.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience/certification preferred.
- 5+ years professional development including strong competencies or expertise in Python, SQL, C#, .NET Core, Ruby, Agile, data analysis & transformation, and other modern programming techniques.
- 5+ years of technical eDiscovery software solution experience including techniques for complex data extraction, transformation, mapping, and large dataset query development.
- Experience with Relativity, Nuix and other proprietary eDiscovery software solutions is preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Duties are performed in a typical office environment while sitting at a desk or computer table.
- Duties require the ability to use a computer, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material.
- Duties may require being on call periodically and working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends).