Our Vision – Creating safer and more resilient communities across Colorado.
Our Core Values – Unity, Honor, Service
Visit our website to learn more about the work we do to keep Colorado safe!
CDPS is an equal opportunity employer. See our EEOD Utilization Report (2020)
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
COLORADO BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) provides law enforcement services to local, state, and federal law enforcement and government agencies, including managing statewide criminal justice information, assisting with criminal investigations on request, conducting criminal and civil background checks, and operating an internationally-accredited forensic laboratory system. The units described below perform these functions:
Crime Information Management Unit – provides support services and ensures security regulations are met by users of Colorado criminal justice information to uphold and enforce the FBI standards, and operates an information system at an over 99 percent availability rate for local, state, and federal criminal justice agencies enabling them to exchange timely, accurate, and complete information.
Forensic Services – provides forensic investigative assistance to law enforcement agencies, including DNA casework, latent print analysis, firearm and toolmark analysis, drug chemistry analysis, serology analysis, trace evidence analysis, digital analysis, DNA database management, and toxicology analysis.
Office of Professional Standards – develops national accreditation standards for the CBI, standardizes policies and training, conducts review and investigates complaints and allegations of misconduct, and reports on CBI statistics and inspections.
Investigative Services – provides critical investigative assistance to law enforcement agencies on request for major crimes, gaming, complex fraud, fugitive sex offenders, cold case homicides, and missing persons investigations.
Morpho Biometrics Unit – serves as the state repository for criminal history information, including fingerprint data.
Instant Criminal Background Check Unit – serves as the state point of contact for background checks on firearms purchases and conducts concealed handgun permit background checks for sheriff’s offices.
WHY JOIN US
- Our employees are proud of their work and believe their work is important and valued by the public.
- Our supervisors do a great job managing employees, providing clear expectations, treating employees with respect and providing timely feedback.
- We value a high work-life balance.
- CDPS is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity of backgrounds and ideas.
In addition to rewarding meaningful work, we offer a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Excellent work-life programs, training, and professional development opportunities;
- Retirement benefits including PERA Defined Benefit Plan or PERA Defined Contribution Plan plus 401K and 457 plans;
- Medical and dental options (for permanent employees and their dependents).
- Short and optional long-term disability coverage
- 10 paid holidays per year plus vacation and sick leave.
- Employee Assistance Program (C-SEAP) available in every region of the state.
- Reduced college tuition (CSU Global, DeVry University, University of the Rockies)
- Life insurance that includes legal resources and discounts.
For a complete review of the benefits we offer, please click on this link.