US Government, 045-WYDOT-Chief Engineer - District Construction
- Full Time
Open until filled
The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) seeks a full-time Construction and Field Survey Technician located in Casper, Wyoming. Under limited supervision, the Construction and Field Survey Technician will perform various duties, including surveys and inspections on preliminary designs and construction projects, and conduct material testing to provide a safe and effective transportation system for the State of Wyoming.
Casper – the place for entertainment and things to do, both indoors and out. Whether you seek the peacefulness of walking pathways and parks, the North Platte River, the fun adventures of skiing, snowboarding nearby lakes, or enjoying the outdoor ice arena in the winter, splash pads in the summer, or the family events at David Street Station Casper offers something for everyone. Wyoming is one of seven states with no income tax.
Human Resources Contact: Keri Long 307-473-3243 Keri.Long@wyo.gov
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Organize project records.
- Perform clerical duties as needed.
- Review and check project documentation.
- Inspect construction projects.
- Prepare, review, maintain, and file construction project records, estimates, and reports.
- Perform topographic surveys.
- Conduct aggregate gradation testing, density testing for earthwork and surfacing, and concrete testing.
- Perform survey tasks such as drive stakes, hubs, hold tapes, hold a rod, and instrument operation.
- Perform minor surveying computations such as slopes, areas, volumes, cuts, and fills, etc.
- Inspect pipe backfill and fill construction.
- Inspect paving operation to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Perform minor engineering computations such as areas, volumes, material spread rates, etc.
- Test, sample, and report materials proposed to be used in construction projects.
- Review and learn test methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Perform basic engineering calculations.
- Perform testing and sampling on bridges and roadways for analysis.
- Review and learn traffic control methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Set up, maintain, and remove a safe traffic control plan under live traffic conditions.
- Maintain traffic control devices in the field; perform traffic control duties.
- Assist in the investigation of existing roadways for forensic study.
- Assist in gathering samples, providing a safe working zone, flagging, etc.
- Ensure proper equipment and supplies are loaded and in good working condition.
- Perform more complex lab tests of samples and document results for QA/QC purposes.
- Serve as a technical resource for other employees; attend and complete all designated training sessions to maintain required certifications and perform inspections.
- Communicate both internally and externally regarding project information and courses of action/consequences on smaller projects.
- Oversee smaller projects and/or components of larger projects.
- Assist in permitting processes to obtain water, gravel, plant site, and surveying agreements and aids in the renewal and file maintenance of these agreements.