The County of San Mateo Coroner’s Office is seeking a dedicated and compassionate candidate to fill the role of Deputy Coroner. With respect to the sensitive needs of the families involved, the Coroner’s Office promptly investigates and determines the cause, manner, and mode of death of decedents under the Coroner’s jurisdiction.
Deputy Coroners are expected to provide the highest level of professional services in determining the identification of the deceased, collecting and preserving evidence, collecting records, notifying the next of kin, safeguarding personal effects of decedents, and working closely with all agencies concerned with the decedent’s death.
Extra-help Deputy Coroners may be scheduled to fill shift vacancies associated with vacations, training, sick days, leaves of absences, or when additional assistance is required by the office due to case load. Extra-help shifts may be scheduled in advance or without prior notice and will vary in length and time of day and day of week. Extra help may be required to fill a vacant full-time shift on a temporary basis.
The ideal candidate for this part-time, extra-help position will have:
- One year of coursework in Criminal Justice, Forensic Science or a related biological science.
- At least one year of experience working in a Coroner’s Office either as a Deputy Coroner or a Medical Examiner Investigator or as a Deputy Sheriff with Deputy Coroner experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience dealing with people under severe emotional stress.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, basic anatomy and physiology, medications, medical treatments and pathophysiology of disease.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the demonstrated ability to prepare comprehensive reports.
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment. The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.