The Mission of the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences is to provide medical examiner and crime laboratory services of the highest quality in an unbiased manner with uncompromised integrity.
- To provide consistent, quality death investigation and laboratory analysis for the benefit of the entire community.
- To create a technological strongpoint for legal agencies to facilitate justice in criminal and civil proceedings.
- To establish an academic environment for training in the field of Forensic Science.
Brief DNA Laboratory Technician Position Overview:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform routine housekeeping duties such as the cleaning of laboratory areas, equipment and tools
- Organize laboratory working and storage areas
- Maintain laboratory cleanliness
- Prepare laboratory reagents and supplies in accordance with laboratory policy
- Monitor supply inventory and order supplies as needed
- Monitor and update temperature logs of various instruments
- Remove bio-hazardous waste to appropriate storage location
- Prepare blood and tissue samples from decedents for long term storage
- Assist DNA administrative staff with release of laboratory case reports and other administrative duties as assigned
- May participate in limited casework technical support role
- Assist in ensuring the laboratory remains in compliance with the ANAB accreditation standards and the FBI Quality Assurance Standards for Forensic DNA testing laboratories
- Follow rigorously all Safety, Method Manual, and Quality Assurance / Quality Control protocols
- Other duties as assigned by the Forensic Genetics Laboratory Director.
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email ADACoordinator@bmd.hctx.net
This position is subject to a criminal history check. Only relevant convictions will be considered and, even when considered, may not automatically disqualify the candidate.