US Government, Dept. of Social and Health Services
The Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), Behavioral Health Administration (BHA) is seeking a Director of Risk Management. In this role, you will provide statewide strategic direction, technical assistance, and consultation to BHA executive leadership, managers, and supervisors on critical, complex issues with significant statewide policy and operational impact.
You will plan, manage, and direct a broad range of high-visibility, consequential administrative functions for the enterprise and assume operational management of the administration in the absence of the Assistant Secretary and Deputy, including work with the DSHS Secretary, Chief of Staff, Director of Emergency Management Services, and others in the event of emergencies, critical incidents, or other issues. You will directly manage multiple cross-administration and cross-agency initiatives. You will represent the administration in work with executive leadership and staff at all levels across DSHS, other state agencies, and federal partners.
This is an important director position in which personnel functions encompass over 4900 employees and six 24/7 facilities statewide including the Western State and Eastern State Hospitals, the Child Study & Treatment Center (CSTC), the Special Commitment Center, secure community transition facilities, residential treatment facilities, civil centers for behavioral health, regional offices for the Office of Forensic Mental Health Services and a headquarters operation and will report to the BHA Assistant Secretary. And you will ensure critical infrastructure support services, such as emergency management and operations, safety planning, risk management, audits, internal controls, and investigation activities adequately serve the business needs of the organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for a meaningful career where your experience and leadership will help and support our mission to Transform Lives.
Some of what you’ll do
- Serve as the executive-level subject matter expert on all aspects of the Administration’s audit responsibilities, represent the administration at state, federal, and internal audit entrance and exit conferences
- Serve as the liaison with the State Auditor’s Office, Attorney General Office, Office of Financial Management, internal and external stakeholders, and other States, and federal agencies.
- Provide BHA leadership and staff with expert, reliable, and professionally sound guidance and advice related to a broad range of audit and internal control issues.
- Lead, direct and manage BHA’s enterprise risk management activities, including internal controls, incident reporting, and follow-up, enterprise risk management planning, and cross-agency data share agreements, ensuring the administration complies with all state and federal requirements.
- Manage BHA’s enterprise audit and internal control processes, serving as the executive-level subject matter expert on all aspects of the administration’s audit responsibilities.
- Develop, recommend, monitor, and oversight of all corrective action strategies and plans in response to state, federal, and internal audits, working with the DSHS Chief Risk Officer, other state agency partners, and federal agencies to resolve critical findings.
- Lead, direct and manage BHA’s employee investigative operations, ensuring the Administration investigation unit effectively executes its responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with department policy, applicable Washington Administrative Code (WACs), Revised Code of Washington (RCWs), Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA), and federal laws for addressing allegations of employee misconduct.
- Manage and provide oversight for key operational initiatives and special projects where outcomes are critical to the administration’s long-term operations and are reflected in the Administration.
- Responsible for development, monitoring, tracking, and implementing work plans, project plans, performance metrics, and related materials.
Picture yourself doing deeply meaningful work as part of our team and demonstrate risk management skills and ability by applying the constant application of independent judgment. They have experience coordinating with internal and external customers, and a savvy relationship builder with stellar communication, facilitation, collaboration, and negotiation skills. We are seeking a strong professional who enjoys risk assessment and mitigation strategies, integrating business solutions, streamlining processes, supervising, designing, and developing training, mentoring, coaching, methods, and delivery, evaluating effectiveness, and continually improving safety and has personal courage, perseverance, accountability, and promotes fairness through mitigation of structural and systemic barriers.
If this role speaks to who you are, we want to hear from you! We encourage you to apply!
Who should apply?
- Master’s degree in business, public administration, or other relevant fields from an accredited institution AND five years of progressively responsible paid, professional experience working in the areas of business, public administration, law, risk management, compliance, finance and accounting, or an allied field, and conducting research and analyzing policies, laws, rules, or regulations, which has included at least three years of progressively responsible supervision and directing the activities and performance of others.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, or other relevant fields from an accredited institution AND seven years of progressively responsible paid, professional experience working in the areas of business, public administration, law, risk management, compliance, finance and accounting, or an allied field, and conducting research and analyzing policies, laws, rules, or regulations; which has included at least four years of progressively responsible supervision and directing the activities and performance of others.
We are looking for leadership experience and competencies:
- Demonstrate a high degree of understanding of the impacts and risks to the agency and incorporate them into consultation, exercise influence, protective intervention, and facilitate organizational responses to complex issues.
- Experience analyzing public policy and legislative processes, including RCW and WACs, interpreting, and applying federal and state laws and institutional policies.
- Experience working within a political environment and history working collaboratively with a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including local, state, and federal officials and other state agencies.
- Demonstrate analytical, deductive reasoning, critical thinking, and active learning skills.
Preferred/desired education, experience, and competencies:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited institution.
- Professional certification in Enterprise Risk Management (e.g., COSO ERM Certificate, Certified Risk Manager (CRM), Certified Risk Management Professional (CRMP)
- Experience working in health care or behavioral health settings.
- Experience developing and administering Enterprise Risk Management Programs.
- Experience working with and administering insurance policies for large organizations.
- Experience with project management principles.
To be considered for this opportunity, please include:
- Cover letter explaining why your skills and experience make you the best person for the job
- Current resume
- Current supervisor reference and at least three professional references
Our Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) mission to Transform Lives requires that we come together with a sense of belonging, common purpose, shared values, and meaningful work. It is crucial to our agency’s mission that you bring an equity, anti-racism, and social justice commitment to your work with DSHS. We strive to create greater access and affirming representation of the communities we serve, including Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, people with physical, behavioral health, and intellectual disabilities, elders, LGBTQIA+ individuals, immigrants and refugees, and families building financial security.
Employees of the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of your vaccine status. Please note medical or religious accommodation may be available once an offer of employment is made.
If you have questions about job number 15495, contact Anu Rao at (360) 972-6206 or via email at email@example.com