US Government, Dept. of Social and Health Services
DSHS BHA Forensic Evaluator (Psychologist) Supervisor
What inspired you to be a Psychologist? Make a difference. Work that matters. Working and collaborating with diverse teams.
We are looking for a person to lead a team of forensic evaluators and support staff in both the Eastern Regional Office in Spokane, WA and the Northern Regional Office in Seattle, WA. Work in a collegial environment and become an integral member of a dedicated team committed to completing various forensic evaluations, including a focus on competency to stand trial evaluations. It is an ideal atmosphere to use and further develop your clinical and administrative supervisory skills. You and your team will receive tremendous support from The Behavioral Health Administration (BHA), Office of Forensic Mental Health Services (OFMHS). Work involves oversight and management of: completion of evaluations for the court that range in degrees of complexity, ensuring reports meet industry best practices, providing direction for the evaluators that may involve submitting agency request legislation or decision packages. Additional opportunities include working with interns and postdocs, participating in and facilitating training, being involved with legislative processes, providing court testimony, attending local and national conferences/meetings, and mentoring new staff members.
In addition to living in the wonderful state of Washington and its natural beauty, receive a comprehensive medical benefits package, pension plan, and opportunities to grow and advance. King County employees receive 5% premium pay in addition to the advertised salary and are eligible to receive a free ORCA card for transportation use.
The successful applicant may be located anywhere in Washington, with the ability to travel as needed. Watch the video below to learn more about why people like you chose a career with DSHS:
Some of what you’ll do:
- Provide leadership and oversight on forensic evaluations mostly focused on competency to stand trial but also forensic evaluations related to mental state at the time of the offense
- Supervise, consult, and collaborate with forensic evaluators
- Opportunities to testify, present educational/informative trainings to external partners, serve as training faculty for the intern and/or postdoctoral training programs
- Work closely with community and legal partners
We are looking for
- Doctorate in Psychology (PsyD) or Doctorate of Philosophy in Psychology (Ph.D.)
- Licensed or eligible to obtain a license in Washington to practice psychology
- Post-doctoral psychology experience
- Strong clinical and forensic skills
- Experience with psychometric testing, instruments used to assess feigning, competency, and risk assessment measures
- Past supervisory experience
- Ability to establish collegial relationships with internal and external partners
When applying, we ask that you please provide a redacted Forensic Evaluation and a current CV. This should include a referral source and question, the background of the patient/client, diagnostic formulation, and an opinion/recommendation section.
Our Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) mission to Transform Lives requires that we come together with a sense of belonging, common purpose, shared values and meaningful work. It is crucial to our agency’s mission that you bring an equity, anti-racism and social justice commitment to your work with DSHS. We strive to create greater access and affirming representation of the communities we serve, including Black, Indigenous and People of Color, people with physical, behavioral health, and intellectual disabilities, elders, LGBTQIA+ individuals, immigrants and refugees, and families building financial security.
Questions about this opportunity? Please contact Jourdan.Phipps@dshs.wa.gov and reference job number 00757.