US Government, Dept. of Social and Health Services
DSHS Residential Rehabilitation Counselor 4
The Behavioral Health Administration (BHA) is seeking an experienced Residential Rehabilitation Counselor to join the team at the Special Commitment Center (SCC) on McNeil Island, WA!
As the shift supervisor, you act as the Mailroom/Visiting Program Supervisor and will be available to act as either the On-Site Supervisor or Security One (Lead Staff) on an as needed basis. The incumbent must effectively direct staff in routine and emergent situations spanning the entire McNeil Island and when necessary, interpret policy and procedure to ensure community safety and Island security.
SCC employees receive an additional $10 per day premium pay in addition to advertised salary and a free Orca card for transportation use. Ferry transportation is provided to McNeil Island employees.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Document employee performance issues, complete monthly supervisory conferences, submit annual evaluations as required, and issue performance management reports as appropriate or directed.
- Track and process attendance documents for Security Staff assigned to the visiting and mailroom area.
- Reads, understands and applies current conditions for Individual residents
- Assists staff In understanding and applying residents’ current conditions.
- Writes reports and assists in investigations of incidents, as needed or directed.
- Generate timely and accurate log entries, witness statements, and observation reports
- Ensure visitor application packets are completed, processed and forwarded in a timely manner. Ensure recommendations for approval or rejections are made.
- Coordinate efforts to accommodate and assist with special visits that may be requested
- Oversee and assist in transporting sec visitors by state vehicle and vessel.
- Oversee and assist SG2 staff in monitoring resident and visitor behavior, interaction with others while in transit or while in the facilities.
- Manage the daily operations of the mailroom
- Coordinate postage reports and purchases
- Responds to and manages all urgent and emergent situations that arise according to facility policy, standard operating procedure, and emergency response plans
What we’re looking for:
- A high school diploma or GED and four years of experience in the care of psychiatric patients, residents, or inmates in a behavioral management program, forensic mental health setting, or correctional mental health program
- Four years of experience as a security guard, correctional officer, police officer; police reserve officer, military police, or other law enforcement work.
- Two years of experience as a supervisor/lead worker and two years of experience in the care of psychiatric patients, residents, or inmates
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- General knowledge in computer skills including a basic understanding of Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Word
NOTE: College-level course work in one the social science will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis
NOTE: A certificate of completion in a basic law enforcement training program approved by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission; or, a certificate of completion in a police or reserve police academy or military training program will substitute for one year of required experience.
Our Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) mission to Transform Lives requires that we come together with a sense of belonging, common purpose, shared values and meaningful work. It is crucial to our agency’s mission that you bring an equity, anti-racism and social justice commitment to your work with DSHS. We strive to create greater access and affirming representation of the communities we serve, including Black, Indigenous and People of Color, people with physical, behavioral health, and intellectual disabilities, elders, LGBTQIA+ individuals, immigrants and refugees, and families building financial security.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and reference #10324
Note: Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14 (Download PDF reader) state employees must be fully vaccinated. Your vaccine status will be verified. Please note medical or religious accommodation may be available once an offer of employment is made.