US Government, Dept. of Social and Health Services
DSHS WSH Security Guard 2
Western State Hospital is expanding! Come join our GAGE, Center of Forensic Excellence team. We are seeking Security Guards for all shifts at Western State Hospital. As a Security Guard, you will be responsible for the security and safety of the staff, patients, visitors, and property at WSH. We are seeking people who can quickly adapt to their environment, who have the skills to proactively manage safety & security situations and be an effective member of our team. Your important role is to assist WSH management in enforcing hospital rules, regulations, policies, and statutory law.
See why people like you chose careers with DSHS.
What’s in it for you:
Washington State offers one of the most competitive benefit packages in the nation. We also offer a great selection of health and retirement plans, paid leave, training, and compensation benefits.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Patrol campus in vehicle and on-foot, provide protection for hospital staff, patients, visitors, and property
- Intervene and de-escalate in uncertain/crisis situations
- Provide security presence, walk-throughs, and safety checks on the wards
- Assist in gathering evidence
- Act as liaison between emergency responders and the hospital leadership; gather information for Law Enforcement, identify witnesses, and obtain initial statements
- Confiscate and secure contraband, write reports
- Operate a camera, computer, copier/scanner, and other provided software to complete Security Activity Reports, email; operate a two-way radio, telephone, personal alarms, and metal detectors
- Respond to fire, smoke, intrusion, and burglar alarms
- Ensure accountability of equipment, keys, I.D badges, and other controlled items
- Issue parking violation notices as appropriate
- Assist in providing on-the-job training and orientation for newly hired Security Guards
Who should apply:
Applicants with a valid driver’s license, High school diploma/GED, and one of the following:
- 2 years of experience in areas of work, such as security guard, correctional officer, store investigations, police officer, police reserve officer, military police, or other law enforcement work
- Or, a certificate of completion in a basic law enforcement training program approved by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission, and one year of experience in areas of work, such as security guard, correctional officer, store investigations, police officer, police reserve officer, military police, or other law enforcement work
- Or, a certificate of completion in a police or reserve police academy or military training program, and one year of experience in areas of work, such as security guard, correctional officer, store investigations, police officer, police reserve officer, military police, or other law enforcement work.
Interested? Apply online today. Choose your available shifts under the Supplemental Question section. Evening and Nightshifts include a shift differential in addition to the standard compensation rate. Pierce County employees are eligible to receive an Orca Card for transportation needs.
Our Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) mission to Transform Lives requires that we come together with a sense of belonging, common purpose, shared values and meaningful work. It is crucial to our agency’s mission that you bring an equity, anti-racism and social justice commitment to your work with DSHS. We strive to create greater access and affirming representation of the communities we serve, including Black, Indigenous and People of Color, people with physical, behavioral health, and intellectual disabilities, elders, LGBTQIA+ individuals, immigrants and refugees, and families building financial security.
Employees of the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of your vaccine status. Please note medical or religious accommodation may be available once an offer of employment is made.
Questions? Contact me at DSHS Recruiter and reference 01419.