The Office of Emergency Management is integrated into the Gwinnett County Police Department. The Department is a nationally accredited and rapidly growing police agency located in the northeastern quadrant of the Atlanta Metropolitan area. The Department currently has an authorized strength of 930 sworn Police Officers and 129 Communications Officers supported by 167 civilian employees with the responsibility of providing law enforcement services to approximately 900,000 residents within an area of 436 square miles, The department is a full service agency with numerous specialized units, to include Computer Forensics, K-9, Aviation, Technology Research, Accident Investigations, Training, S.W.A.T., Crime Prevention, Hazardous Devices, and many more.
This position is responsible for coordinating activities in the areas of emergency preparedness, planning, mitigation, response, and recovery. Serves as a lead on multi-jurisdictional emergency planning teams. The Emergency Management Specialist will be available for disaster response and resource coordination when necessary.
This job is a safety sensitive position that will require a pre-employment drug test and subsequent random drug and alcohol testing in accordance with Gwinnett County Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace.
The Grade for this position is C421.
- Bachelor’s Degree with course work in public administration, emergency management or a related field
- Two years of related emergency management experience
- Or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Valid Georgia Driver’s License
- Must be 21 years of age
- State of Georgia Certified Emergency Manager – must complete within eighteen months of hire
- Must pass a comprehensive background process including criminal, employment, credit, driving and controlled substance check to be eligible for this position
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, including weekend/holiday rotation, and “on call” status
For information related to position specific Essential Duties, Knowledge and Skills and Physical requirements, click here.
For more information about the Office of Emergency Management, click here.
NOTE: The class specifications listed on this site are not the official class specifications for Gwinnett County and are subject to change.