US Government, 048-Public Health - Public Health Sciences - State Health Lab
- Full Time
The Wyoming Public Health Laboratory (WPHL) seeks a manager for the Chemical Testing Program (CTP). Under the general direction of the WPHL Administrator, the manager is responsible for the daily operations of a high-complexity toxicology laboratory that processes over 5,000 forensic toxicology samples per year. The CTP manager oversees drug toxicology screening operations, confirmatory drug toxicology analysis, intoximeter program operations, and new method development. The incumbent will work to ensure that all laboratory procedures and results meet quality control standards, are technically correct, legally defensible, and in compliance with current toxicology testing guidelines. The manager serves as a subject matter expert in drug and alcohol metabolism and detection in body fluids, and may be asked to provide expert witness testimony in trials and depositions.
Human Resource Contact: Anissa French email@example.com
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Manages and provides scientific oversight of the Chemical Testing Program at the WPHL. Ensures timely and legally defensible testing of human samples through overseeing specimen collection, transport, accessioning, processing, analyzing, and reporting.
- Develops, coordinates and implements plans to ensure compliance with federal and state laws, regulations, and toxicology best practices.
- Plans, directs, and monitors laboratory expenditures and revenues.
- Supervises and evaluates work activities of laboratory personnel; oversees training, proficiency testing, competency testing of chemists and technicians; recruits qualified laboratory staff as needed.
- Provides quality control oversight of analytical operations to include final result review.
- Interacts with external partners to ensure customer satisfaction, establish new partnerships, and to coordinate drug and alcohol testing, expert witness testimony, and the intoximeter operator certification program.
- Writes, reviews, and negotiates grants, contracts, and inter-agency agreements.
- Provides toxicology consultation to agency partners including; the Department of Family Services, Probation and Parole, Intoximeter Senior Operators, law enforcement, attorneys, and state agency officials on issues involving drug or alcohol testing and intoximeter testing. Provides court testimony as required.