This is an Internal Posting Open ONLY for Current Employees of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety (DPS) and eligible RIF candidates from NC State Government.
This position serves as an Assistant Special Agent in Charge (ASAC) in the Computer
Crimes Unit (CCU), within the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), and is one of
four CCU ASAC’s located statewide. Job responsibilities include the following:
- Oversee the work of CCU Criminal Specialists to include providing on-scene supervision to SBI agents and local law enforcement officers associated with the North Carolina Internet Crimes Against Children (NC ICAC) Task Force.
- Conduct administrative reviews of reports generated by CCU agents and other administrative duties assigned by the SAC as needed.
- Conduct routine inspection of agents evidence and documentation related to evidence collection.
- Maintain an active case load to include investigations assigned at the discretion of the SAC which are sensitive and/or complex in nature.
- Conduct and/or assist with complex computer forensic examinations. This includes the frequent viewing of explicit child sexual exploitation material for investigative purposes in order to establish crimes committed and to locate evidence to be used in the rescue of live minor victims and the prosecution of offenders.
- Identify and research new technology and internet trends and preparing response strategies.
- Provide community outreach through internet safety and child abuse prevention training to schools, churches and other citizen groups.
This is a sworn position with Benefits and is subject to the Fair Labor Standards Act. The ASAC is required to respond on a 24-hour, seven day a week basis and is required to work a 160 hour work period as a minimum. Overtime and on-call duty are required in this position. This position will require the CCU ASAC to perform administrative tasks in Raleigh and elsewhere in the state on a frequent basis.