This SBI Criminal Specialist is a professional investigative position using the authority, jurisdiction and resources of the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) to assist local, state and federal law enforcement agencies and judicial officials and to exercise the statutory original jurisdiction of the Department. The Criminal Specialist will serve as a Special Agent (Forensic Computer Agent) for the SBI and will investigate, analyze, and prepare for trial, complex and technical/computer related crimes and evidence. These crimes involve Internet crimes against children, violent crimes against people, threats made against public groups, financial crimes, and computer hacking. A significant percentage of the agent’s time will be spent working cases involving child pornography and/or crimes against children. Investigations include crimes such as child pornography, using a computer to solicit a minor to commit unlawful sex acts, communicating threats using the Internet, and other digital crimes. Job responsibilities include the following:
- Conduct investigations primarily involving computers, digital devices, and digital communications.
- Review and analyze tips that relate to potential child exploitation and child solicitation and conduct follow-up processes on these tips to further investigations.
- Identify suspects and their location using information obtained from IP addresses or other Internet routing information associated with their Internet activities, as well as determining the jurisdiction in which the crime occurred.
- Assist local, state and federal law enforcement officers in seizing and forensically examining computer systems and digital devices.
- Analyze computers and mobile devices for the evidence of a crime.
- Make arrest, prepare comprehensive and detailed reports, including supporting documents such as email header information, connection logs, and computer audit trails, and link the various documents together in a cohesive package which a prosecutor can follow and present to a jury.
- Responsible for the analysis of digital evidence and is required to present and defend the results of said analysis as an expert witness in court.
An SBI Agent must be able to accurately assess the potential consequences of alternative
courses of action and select the one which is most acceptable. The employee in this position must be able to reach a decision quickly when faced with several alternate courses of action. The position requires that the employee be able to comprehend factual information and recall this information as it pertains to laws, statutes and codes. The SBI Agent must speak clearly and intelligently to individuals and groups, as well as over police radio and other electronic transmission equipment.
This is a sworn position with Benefits. SBI Agents are required to respond on a 24-hour, 7 day per week basis. The Agent is required to work a 160-hour work period as a minimum, per month. Overtime and on-call duty are required in this position. This is a sworn position that is subject to the Fair Labor Standards Act and a mandatory probationary period of a minimum of 24 months.