US Government, Sheriff's Office
- Full Time
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program.
Shifts for this position start and end at the Forensic Science Laboratory located at 531 Park Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55415. This position requires working a flexible schedule including days, evenings, overnights, weekends, holidays. This schedule requires being on call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, and 365 days/year.
About the position type:
This is a full-time benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as a Sheriff Crime Scene Investigator.
Click hereto view the job classification specification.
- Locate, collect, preserve, and process evidence.
- Photograph crime and accident scenes.
- Measure, sketch, and complete diagrams of crime scenes.
- Package evidence for transportation to forensic laboratory facility.
- Locate, develop, and recover latent fingerprints.
- Perform specialized functions including bloodstain pattern analysis, shooting reconstruction/trajectory analysis, and forensic mapping.
- Testify in court and present and explain photographs, charts, and exhibits.
- Educate law enforcement agencies in crime scene management.
Need to have:
- One year of experience as a licensed Peace Officer.
- A Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) license as a Peace Officer.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver’s permit.
- Availability to work different shifts including days, evenings, overnights, weekends, and holidays.
- Availability for emergency callback 24 hours a day.
Nice to have:
- Critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office serves the county’s 1.2 million residents. State law mandates most of the sheriff’s office duties, including managing the county jail, providing security to the district court, and patrolling the waterways in the county.
The Sheriff’s Office also runs specialized initiatives like Criminal Information Sharing and Analysis (CISA), Violent Offender Task Force (VOTF), Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Investigation, Community Outreach and Employee Wellness. The mission of the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is: Providing quality professional services while building meaningful relationships that are sustainable within our communities, and with our partners, to ensure justice and safety for all.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals — that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (login as Guest).
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
The list created from this job announcement may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education, experience, and passing an exam. Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the written test. Candidates who successfully pass the written test will be referred to the hiring supervisor and invited to participate in a practical test and ride-along. The practical test will consist of photographing and processing physical evidence at a simulated crime scene. Individuals who pass the examinations and are in a top group will participate in an oral interview process.
If you have any questions, please contact: