US Government, 045-WYDOT-Chief Engineer - District Construction
- Full Time
Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) is seeking a full-time Construction and Field Survey Technician located in Buffalo, Wyoming, where you will enjoy The Big Horn Mountains, which offer various outdoor activities nearby, including snowmobiling skiing, camping, fishing, and hunting.
Under general supervision, the Construction and Field Survey Technician will perform various duties, including surveys and inspections on preliminary designs and construction projects, and conduct material testing to provide a safe, high-quality, and efficient transportation system for the State of Wyoming.
This position offers:
- Culture of public service and a commitment to work/life balance
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- State Retirement plan and additional savings opportunities (deferred compensation)
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- **Limited time hiring incentive** Eighty (80) additional hours of incentive pay at the hourly rate of hire to be paid out at the end of the successful candidate’s first month of employment
- * New hires and rehires who begin employment by June 30, 2023, will qualify for this limited-time incentive.
Human Resources Contact: Jennifer Sullivan 307-674-2318 firstname.lastname@example.org
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Organize project records.
- Perform clerical duties as needed.
- Review and check project documentation.
- Inspect construction projects.
- Prepare, review, maintain, and file construction project records, estimates, and reports.
- Assist with topographic surveys.
- Conduct aggregate gradation testing, density testing for earthwork and surfacing, and concrete testing.
- Perform survey tasks such as drive stakes, hubs, hold tapes, hold the rod, and instrument operation.
- Perform minor surveying computations such as slopes, areas, volumes, cuts, fills, etc.
- Inspect pipe backfill and fill construction.
- Inspect paving operations to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Perform minor engineering computations such as areas, volumes, material spread rates, etc.
- Test, sample, and report materials proposed to be used in construction projects.
- Review and learn test methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Perform basic engineering calculations.
- Perform testing and sampling on bridges and roadways for analysis.
- Review and learn traffic control methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Set up, maintain, and remove a safe traffic control plan under live traffic conditions.
- Maintain traffic control devices in the field; perform traffic control duties.
- Assist in the investigation of existing roadways for forensic study.
- Assist in gathering samples, providing a safe working zone, flagging, etc.
- Ensure proper equipment and supplies are loaded and in good working condition.
- Perform more complex lab tests of samples and document results for QA/QC purposes.
- Assist with complex lab tests; attend and complete all designated training sessions to maintain required certifications and perform inspections.
- Communicate internally and externally regarding project information and courses of action/consequences on smaller projects.
- Assist in permitting processes to obtain water, gravel, plant site, and surveying agreements and aid in the renewal and file maintenance of these agreements.